Saturday, June 9, 2012

6-9 My View

On June 9 I am posting a picture of "My View". A craft project inspired by a Pinterest. I am an American through and through. As a child of the 60's I lived through a lot of things. I remember watching television when JFK was assassinated and my mother crying. I remember living in Pennsylvania with my grandparents while my dad gone for a year in Viet Nam. I remember my father one evening watching the moon with his binoculars. He looked at me and said, "I just saw Michael Collins move across the moon. At the time, I wondered who Michael Collins was, and why was he on the moon. Later, I knew exactly who Michael Collins and his two companions were. I remember living in the United Kingdom for three years, a young ambassador for the United States while my dad was stationed there. In 1979, I graduated from high school and ten days later, June 4, 1979, I was standing tall in basic training for the United States Navy in San Diego. I met President Ronald Reagan at his ranch in Santa Barbara in 1981 before being deployed to Okinawa for more than nine months. Upon my return from Okinawa, I went to school at Fort Belvoir, Virginia for 52 weeks. During that time, I visited Washington, D.C. many times including Arlington National Cemetery, the United States Marine Corps Memorial, the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, and on July 4, 1983 I sat on the lawn of the Capitol Building and listened to the National Symphony play historical marches and music while fireworks exploded over the Mall. I have many great memories of this great country and many of it's people. I love my country and this little craft project helps me remember...I am an American...Through and through.

No comments: