Thursday, April 2, 2009

Extracurricular

When you are going thru high school, anything you participate in after school is extracurricular. After you grow up, anything after work should be called the same. If that is true, we adults should get varsity letters every year. Last year in Cub Scouts, the year before was photography.

For my varsity letter this year, I am going for Fly Fishing. I signed up for a community education class. I am hoping to learn and also to take the boys and then learn more. This week we learned casting. I borrowed my dad's rod and was trying to learn the technique and doing what I thought was a good job. One of the instructor's helpers came up at the end of the class and asked to try the rod. He seemed to be enjoying it and talking at the same time. He mentioned that he would not use the rod...not because it was a bad rod, but because the rod could be worth quite a bit of money and if it was broken during use, I would be out a good rod and would not have the ability to replace it because it had no warranty. Wow! I was not expecting that.

So now I have to buy a new rod, hopefully one that can be replaced if broken, because using Murphy's Law, there are two types of fly rods...broken ones and ones going to be broken.

The class has four more lessons and three fishing trips. I am going to enjoy that so much. And then I am going to introduce it to the boys. I am really looking forward to my new extracurricular activity.

No comments: